Once again lemon. Once again poppy seeds.
But what can you do if this is the ultimate combination during the summer months?
This cake is for those days when it’s hot, you don’t want to move too much but want something sweet that isn’t ice cream.
It is easy to make as you pretty much only have to mix all ingredients together, pour the batter into a loaf pan and wait an hour for it to be baked perfectly.
Then you will have a slice of increadibly lemony fluffiness in your hand.
Basic ingredients, simple process, amazing result.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- 2-3 lemons
- 140 ml plant based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 g butter
- 140 g sugar
- 350 g flour
- 16 g baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or 0.5 tbsp vanilla sugar)
- 150 ml sparkling water
- 85 g icing sugar
- 0.5 tbsp lemon juice more, depending on your taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a loaf pan (length approx. 25cm).
- Mix lemon juice with soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit until it curdles.
- In a big bowl, cream the butter and whisk in the sugar. Once the ingredients have combined completely, add the lemon zest.
- In another bowl mix flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixtures spoon by spoon, alternating with the lemon-milk mix.
- Finally, add the sparkling water to the batter. Try not to overmix it so that the dough will stay light and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and place it into the oven. Bake the cake for about 55 to 60 minute or until a wooden skewer comes out with only a few crumbs attached to it.
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven, let it cool in the pan for a few minutes before placing it onto a cooling rack.
- Place the icing sugar in a small bowl. Whisk vigorously while adding the lemon juice a little bit at a time. Be careful, you really don't need a lot of juice to get a nice icing!
- Poke a few holes into the top of the completely cooled down cake and slowly pour the icing over it.
- Optional: sprikle the cake with poppy seeds and lemon zest.